Medhu Vadai/ Ulundhu Vadai
We love medhu vadai very much.. My amma makes perfect vadai.. After marriage, whenever i tried to make it, it was a complete failure. I couldnt make the hole in the center and it looked like a bonda. I cannot express the joy i felt after making these ulundhu vadais with the hole atlast. The lesson i learned is always grind it in grinder. Mixie wont give you proper vadais. Vadai batter Consistency is very important. The recipe is adapted from here.
Whole Urad dal white - 3/4 cup
Pearl Onion - 12
Green Chillies - 2
Ginger - a small piece
Curry leaves - a spring
Asafoetida - a generous pinch
Salt - as needed
1. Soak urad dal for 3 hours and grind it grinder, just sprinkling very less water, until the batter is fluffy.
2. Add the chopped onion,chillies,ginger , Curry leaves and asafoetida to the batter.
3. Add salt just before making the vadais.
4. Heat oil in a deep bottomed vessel.
5. Wet your hand and make a small ball of batter , make a hole in the center.
6. Drop it carefully in the oil and wait till it turns nice crisp and brown
7. Drain it on a paper towel and serve hot with coconut chutney.. YUM...